The Canadian Media Guild is a democratic trade union that represents over 5000 members across Canada, including employees at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation/ Société Radio-Canada, The Canadian Press and Pagemasters North America, Thomson Reuters, the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network, TVO, TFO, Corus, VICE, Zoomer TV, AFP, in private radio, as well as media freelancers.
The Canadian Media Guild (CMG) is seeking a Union Representative (Staff Representative) who will be based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and serve CMG members across the country, with a particular focus on Atlantic Canada.
The successful candidate is expected to work as part of a team that is based across the country but headquartered in Toronto.
As part of CMG’s team, the Union Representative is responsible for working with union members to administer and enforce collective agreements and to increase overall member participation in our union.
Major duties and responsibilities:
– Support and service an assigned group of members using an outcome-driven approach
– Analyze, interpret, and enforce collective agreements, providing contractual support to union members including through grievance-related processes
– Regularly interact and negotiate with employers’ management-side representatives in conjunction with CMG members
– Help organize general membership meetings, steward meetings, joint labour-management meetings, and arrange on-site location unit visits. (In Atlantic Canada, there are CMG location units in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, and also Prince Edward Island.)
– Recruit CMG members to participate in the work of our union. This includes supporting elected CMG member-representatives as well as training stewards and ensuring the effectiveness of stewards.
– Conduct workshops, presentations, and training as required
– Assist in contract negotiations, organizing and mobilization efforts, as required
– Complete all related administrative tasks including the drafting of letters and email, processing expenses, completing reports, participating in conference calls, and attending all required meetings
– Work well with limited off-site support from fellow CMG staff members and CMG management
– A demonstrated record providing effective outcome-oriented support and guidance to union members and elected union member-representatives
– The position requires leadership skills, including a strong willingness and capacity to collaborate with CMG members and an ability to encourage member participation
– A demonstrated record of successful involvement with joint labour-management committees and processes
– Thorough knowledge of the protocols and legislation that govern employer/employee relations
– An extensive knowledge of trade unionism, the Canada Labour Code, and collective bargaining
– A commitment to the ideals of the labour movement
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
– Competency using computer software tools such as Word and Excel
– Willingness and ability to travel throughout Atlantic Canada and elsewhere within Canada on a regular basis
– Willingness and ability to communicate regularly via teleconference and video conferencing tools and use online information sharing tools with a high degree of comfort
– A high degree of initiative, tact, and good judgment
– An ability to work collaboratively and respectfully with others, and cope well with stress
– French language proficiency is an asset
– Strong knowledge of the Canadian media industry is an asset
– Experience handling Long-term Disability files within a unionized environment is an asset
Wages and benefits are set according to the provisions of the CMG / Canadian Media Guild Employees Union collective agreement (available online).
Salary ranges from approximately $89,345 to $101,170 with additional pay in lieu of pension and benefits. Additional pay will also recognize French language proficiency.
The Canadian Media Guild is committed to using its hiring opportunities to be reflective of the CMG membership, the Canadian workforce and the population of the country. CMG welcomes and encourages applications from members of equity seeking groups. Candidates are invited to self-identify, if you wish to do so.
Please email a cover letter and full resume in PDF format.
In your resume, please list three references who may be contacted in relation to your candidacy for this position.
In the cover letter, please specifically address the following questions:
– Why do you want to work for a union and with union members?
– Why do you want to work for the Canadian Media Guild, in particular?
– How have you previously demonstrated success in a similar position?
– In what ways do you feel you can be successful in this role?
DEADLINE for complete applications is Friday, March 31, 2017 at 5:00 pm ET.
Please email your complete application in PDF format to kam (at) cmg.ca and firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use the words “Union Representative” in the subject line
The successful candidate will be expected to start with CMG the week of May 15, 2017