We’re pleased to announce that we have reached a tentative agreement with The Canadian Press. The two sides signed the Memorandum of Agreement earlier today.
Here are the highlights of the deal:
- Three-year deal
- Across-the-board wage increases totaling 4% over the life of the agreement, starting next year
- Maintains shift premiums and vacation entitlements
- New provision on posting of vacancies
- Improvements to scheduling and hours for part-time employees
- Employees to pay 25% of cost of health premiums and 100% of LTD premium; benefits paid under LTD will now be tax-free
- Pension payback remains in place, but temporary relief to the employer on interest payments
“We feel this deal represents the best solution for our members and the company at a very difficult time,” says branch president Terry Pedwell. We want to thank everyone across the country for standing firm over the past four months.”
The full text of the Memorandum of Agreement will be sent to all members shortly, once it has been translated. You will have the time to read the memorandum and ask your questions prior to the ratification vote, which will take place before the end of the month. Your committee is unanimously recommending acceptance of the deal.
Your bargaining team:
Keith Maskell, CMG staff representative