DEADLINE for complete applications is November 10, 2023 at 5 p.m. ET.
apply to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Canadian Media Guild, Local 30213 of CWA-Canada, is a democratic trade union that represents over 5000 members across Canada, including employees at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation/ Société Radio-Canada, The Canadian Press and Pagemasters North America, Thomson Reuters, the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network (APTN), TVO, TFO, VICE, ZoomerMedia, AFP, CKOF, BuzzFeed, Islington Printing, Canada’s National Observer, and Freelance media workers.
The position is responsible for working with union members to administer and enforce collective agreements, lead bargaining, negotiate with management and work to increase participation in the union.
Major duties include:
- Support and provide service to members, includes a small to moderate caseload
- Providing leadership, case management, and subject matter expertise on Long Term Disability cases
- Analyze, interpret, and enforce collective agreements
- Handle grievances, negotiate with management, bargain collective agreements
- Chair joint labour-management meetings
- Develop member training and other education as required
- Adept at online, digital archiving and all required administrative tasks
- A demonstrated record of work over several years as a union staff rep in a serving position
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including interpersonal skills, and an ability to encourage member participation
- A demonstrated record of negotiating and bargaining skills
- Must have deep knowledge of the Canada Labour Code and HR processes, and a legal background is an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and French
- Competency using computer software tools
- Willingness to attend work in the Ottawa office and travel (as needed)
- French language proficiency
- Knowledge of the Canadian media industry is an asset
- Experience handling Long-term Disability files within a unionized environment is an asset
Salary ranges from approximately $100,000 to $113,000 with additional pay in lieu of pension and benefits. Additional pay for French language proficiency.
CMG welcomes and encourages applications from members of equity seeking groups.
In your resume, please list three references who may be contacted in relation to your candidacy for this position.
The terms and conditions of employment for this posted position are governed by the collective agreement between the Employer and CUPE Local 1281 effective June 1, 2021 to May 31, 2026