The Canadian Media Guild is a democratic trade union that represents over 5000 members across Canada, including employees at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation/ Société Radio-Canada, The Canadian Press and Pagemasters North America, Thomson Reuters, the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network, TVO, TFO, Corus, VICE, Zoomer TV, AFP, in private radio, as well as media freelancers.
The Canadian Media Guild (CMG) is seeking a part-time Administrative Coordinator, for a one year term. The position is based in Toronto and will serve CMG members across the country.
The successful candidate is expected to work as part of a team and to help increase overall member participation in our union.
Principal duties involve handling matters related to union leave requests and union travel as well as assisting with the organization of union-related meetings and events.
Key duties and responsibilities:
– Process and log work release requests on behalf of CMG members undertaking union work
– Handle matters related to union-related travel and accommodation for CMG staff and CMG members
– Collect CMG member and staff requests and communicate these to our travel agent with necessary instructions, acting as an intermediary
– Act as a contact person for CMG members and staff requiring explanations of travel policy
– Troubleshoot as required and handle last minute changes
– Administrative tasks include the drafting of letters and email messages, processing expenses, and the production of necessary reports
– Maintain travel-related electronic and paper files for CMG records and costing
– Reconcile wage replacement charges from employers, book tickets/rooms, and reconcile expense claims and submit them for payment
– Help organize general membership meetings and other union-related meetings and events
– Book meeting rooms or event venues and arrange for catering and setup
– Occasionally provide backup for the office co-coordinator in other duties related to the administration of the Canadian Media Guild National Office
– Work well with fellow CMG staff members and CMG management
– A demonstrated record providing effective administrative support and guidance to user and client groups
– Strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
– Comfort answering and directing questions via telephone
– Experience developing and maintaining filing systems, as well as using spreadsheets and online tools
– Experience with event organizing and logistical planning
– A strong willingness and capacity to collaborate with CMG members and an ability to support member participation
– A commitment to the ideals of the labour movement
– Experience working with volunteers, union members, and elected union member-representatives is an asset
– A high degree of initiative, tact, and good judgment
– An ability to work collaboratively and respectfully with others
Wages and benefits are set according to the provisions of the CMG / Canadian Media Guild Employees Union collective agreement (available online).
This part-time position involves three (3) paid days per week, for a one year term. A paid day consists of seven (7) working hours with one unpaid hour for lunch.
The prorated salary for the position, for three paid days of work per week, ranges from approximately $30,156 to $37,596 with additional pay in lieu of pension and benefits.
[A full-time salary for the position would range from approximately $50,260 to $62,660 with additional pay in lieu of pension and benefits.]
The Canadian Media Guild is committed to using its hiring opportunities to be reflective of the CMG membership, the Canadian workforce and the population of the country. CMG welcomes and encourages applications from members of equity seeking groups. Candidates are invited to self-identify, if you wish to do so.
Please email a cover letter and full resume in PDF format.
In your resume, please list two references who may be contacted in relation to your candidacy for this position.
In the cover letter, please address the following questions:
– Why would you like to work for the Canadian Media Guild, in particular?
– How have you previously demonstrated success in a similar position?
– In what ways do you feel you can be successful in this role?
DEADLINE for complete applications is Friday, March 31, 2017 at 5:00 pm ET.
Please email your complete application in PDF format to kam (at) cmg.ca and email@example.com
Please use the words “Administrative Coordinator” in the subject line
The successful candidate will be expected to start with CMG no later than the week of May 1, 2017.