The Canadian Media Guild is a democratic trade union that is comprised of over 5000 members, including employees at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation/ Société Radio-Canada, The Canadian Press and Pagemasters North America, Thomson Reuters, the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network, TVO, TFO, VICE, ZoomerMedia, AFP, private radio, as well as media freelancers.
The Canadian Media Guild (CMG) is seeking two Union Representatives (Staff Representatives) who will be based in Toronto and serve CMG members across the country.
There are two (2) positions: a one-year contract position, as well as a full-time, permanent position.
As part of CMG’s team, a Union Representative is responsible for working with union members to administer and enforce collective agreements and to increase overall member participation in our union.
Major duties and responsibilities:
– Support and service an assigned group of members using an outcome-driven approach
– Analyze, interpret, and enforce collective agreements, providing contractual support to union members including through grievance-related processes
– Regularly interact and negotiate with employers’ management-side representatives in conjunction with CMG members
– Help organize general membership meetings, steward meetings, joint labour-management meetings, and arrange on-site location unit visits.
– Recruit CMG members to participate in the work of our union. This includes supporting elected CMG member-representatives as well as training stewards
– Conduct workshops, presentations, and training as required
– Assist in contract negotiations, organizing and mobilization efforts, as required
– Complete all related administrative tasks including the drafting of letters and email communications, processing expenses, completing reports, participating in conference calls, and attending all required meetings
– Experience providing effective support and guidance to union members and elected union member-representatives
– The position requires leadership skills, including a strong willingness and capacity to collaborate with CMG members and an ability to encourage member participation
– A demonstrated record of successful involvement with joint labour-management committees and processes
– Thorough knowledge of the protocols and legislation that govern employer/employee relations
– An extensive knowledge of trade unionism, the Canada Labour Code, and collective bargaining
– A high degree of initiative, tact, and good judgment
– An ability to work collaboratively and respectfully with others and cope well with stress
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
– Competency using computer software tools such as Word and Excel
– Willingness and ability to travel elsewhere within Canada as needed
– Ability to communicate via teleconference and video conferencing tools with a high degree of comfort
– French language proficiency, both written and verbal, is an asset
– Strong knowledge of the Canadian media industry is an asset
Wages and benefits are set according to the provisions of the CMG – Canadian Media Guild Employees Union (CMGEU) collective agreement (available online).
Salary ranges from approximately $89,345 to $101,170 with additional pay (20%) in lieu of pension and benefits.
If the position is designated bilingual, additional pay will recognize French language proficiency.
The Canadian Media Guild is committed to using its hiring opportunities to be reflective of the CMG membership, the Canadian workforce and the population of the country. CMG welcomes and encourages applications from members of equity seeking groups. Candidates are invited to self-identify, if you wish to do so.
Please email a cover letter and full resume in PDF format.
In your resume, please list three references who may be contacted in relation to your candidacy for this position.
In the cover letter, please address the following questions:
-Which position are you applying for? (One-year contract position, or the full-time, permanent position, or both?)
-What experience do you have negotiating collective agreements and working on bargaining committees?
-Why do you want to work for a union and with union members, and at the Canadian Media Guild, in particular?
-In what ways have you demonstrated success in a similar position?
DEADLINE for complete applications is Friday, July 13, 2018 at 5 p.m. ET.
Please email your complete application in PDF format to kam (at) cmg.ca and firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use the words “Union Representative” in the subject line.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.